Intrduction To My Blog

Welcome, friends!

I've been bouncing back and forth between a blog and a web page for more than a week now. Each has its own advantages and drawbacks. After some consideration, I've decided to try the blog again.

One thing I wish to encourage is for writers and aspiring writers to submit their work to this blog. In the interim I'm posting a few of my published and unpublished works. As I recieve more, I will be happy to add them to the list!




Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Just Checking in

Wow! I can’t believe it’s been a month since my last entry! Time flies when you’re having fun, I guess.
And for the most part, the last month has been fun. Nancy and I had some miscommunication issues right after we got back, but they’ve (hopefully!) been put to rest since then.
First, we reinstituted “date night”. We go out once a week to a different restaurant. It’s not the getting out that helps, it’s the fact that we actually do a lot of talking. I’m not sure why it makes a difference, but home tends to be a quiet, comfortable place and we don’t talk a lot. When we’re out, however, we talk about all that’s going on – not just the gossip, but what we’re feeling and thinking. I believe most of the important decisions in our lives were decided over a cup of after-dinner coffee.
The biggest help, though, is honest communication. Ten years ago I almost wrecked our marriage. In order to salvage it, I promised I would never lie to her again. I also promised that I would always answer any question fully and truthfully. There have been times when I begged her not to ask something, or asked her if she REALLY wanted to know the answer. The truth hurts sometimes. And telling the truth is difficult when you know it will hurt someone you love. But to the best of my knowledge, that is a promise I have kept, and it’s made our marriage stronger.
Okay, end of philosophy class.
I’ve been asked to play and sing in a group that is all handicapped. Three of us – another guitarist and a harmonica player – are currently working on an R&B song with the working title of “Baby, Don’t Worry”.
Nancy’s been real domestic lately. I pretty much took over all the cooking after we got married, but in the last two weeks Nancy made several loaves of WONDERFUL banana bread and two cheesecakes.
I’m not complaining!
I’m now performing twice a week at Dad’s nursing home. At first it was strictly Christian, but lately I’ve been getting a lot of requests for other stuff – especially bluegrass and some old waltzes and polkas. The latter has been tricky for guitar but a lot of fun!
Well, that’s all for now.
Happy Easter to everyone!

No comments: